Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spring Forecast, 1939

Illustration by RBW for Vogue
Fabulous flared afternoon jacket over a slim skirt accompanied by a felt topper with masque veil and feather.  By Hattie Carnegie.

Illustration by RBW for Vogue
Two classic suits featuring high revers and hidden closures over plumb-straight skirts.  Suit on the right by Creed.  Hats by Descat.

Illustration by Eric for Vogue
Left:  Chanel velvet dinner dress accented with fabulous diamond stars.  Velvet hat with ostrich by Schiaparelli.  Right:  Lanvin quilted satin coat and muff, Reboux purple velvet hat with a fall of ostrich.

Illustration by Eric for Vogue
Hats to dramatize dinner costumes.  Left:  Turquoise and black plumed velvet pillbox by Suzy.  Molyneux crepe dress with turquoise bow.  Right:  A pyramid of orchids on a cap by Reboux.  Mainbocher lame dress and fox-trimmed cape.

Source:  February 15, 1939 issue of Vogue

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and look into the photos/illustrations. It gives me so many ideas. Dinner outfit paired with a hat? I am going to try it on my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy it Belladonna. I'm also happy to enable! I just love dinner suits with a great hat. Melissa

    ReplyDelete