Monday, January 30, 2012

A New Hat from Aunt Amanda

I don't know why I have been in such a hat making mode lately, but there is no better way to refresh an outfit than with a new hat!   Madame Alexander's "Aunt Amanda Fairchild" fashion doll wears a navy tweed suit that is made from the exact fabric used in Ashton Drake's "Travel In Tweed" Gene Marshall suit ensemble.  As I never liked the fit or the quality of the fabric used in the collar and cuffs of the "Aunt Amanda" jacket, I decided to make a hat out of the jacket to match Gene's "Travel in Tweed costume.


Ashton Drake's Violet Waters models my "new" Travel in Tweed costume shown with the skirt from the "Aunt Amanda Fairchild" ensemble.  I like the longer length and slimmer lines for a change. 


I covered a buckram shape with fabric taken from the back of the jacket keeping the princess seaming in place.  Unfortunately the seaming is hard to see in the photo.  Vintage berries and lots of veiling fashioned in a "birdcage" effect complete this circa 1944 hat.

1 comment: