Monday, May 2, 2011

The 1940's Short Dinner Dress

Click photo to enlarge
I have been yearning for a basic 1940's era dress for my Gene Marshall doll to go with her beaded gauntlet gloves.  A few years ago I purchased a late 30's dress from a flea market with the idea to use the fur trim for a Gene outfit.  As it turned out the rich brown pebbled rayon crepe of the dress was the perfect color for the beading on the gloves.  I used Perfect Pattern's Style 6 for the bodice and drafted my own skirt design.  I used some of the fur trim from my flea market dress to make a coordinating hat.  It also turned out to be the perfect match to one of my fur drapes from PD Root.  The shoes are borrowed from Integrity's Cocoa Crisp Gene Marshall ensemble.  My model/muse is Ashton Drake's Creme de Cassis Gene Marshall. 

The mid-forties featured many feminine dresses with soft drapery and pleating.  They were the perfect style for rayon fabric which became king as silk was difficult to obtain throughout the war.  I found two vintage patterns that highlight this popular style.
Simplicity


Vogue 245


Vogue Patterns stated that these wonderful dresses look just right with the man in uniform.  They are easy to get around town in and it's not too much for dinner or the theater.  Photo by Frances McLaughlin.  Dress by Henry Rosenfeld.  Marvella pearl choker.

Click photo to enlarge
Here is a stunning Adele Simpson design for Himelhoch's in Detroit featuring a dramatic asymmetrical line of beige rayon jersey on black crepe.  The fabulous fur hat is by John-Frederics.  Ad from Vogue 1945. 

1 comment: