Thursday, April 7, 2011

Inspirations: Gene Artists

In 1995, Ashton Drake Galleries launched Mel Odom's new fashion doll, Gene Marshall.  I hesitated at first because of her larger size as I only collected Barbie dolls at the time.  But her Vargas-like features and fabulous vintage-inspired wardrobe hooked me. It wasn't long until I discovered some wonderful doll artists that were creating original, one-of-a-kind or limited edition fashions for Gene. In addition to designing for the Barbie doll, many of these artists began adding Gene to their repertoire.  The following are a few of my favorites from my personal collection.  As always, be sure to click each photo to enlarge.  Enjoy the fashion show.

This striking dress is called "Simply Boulevard" by D.A.E. Originals.  I don't know why I missed a lot of their earlier Gene fashions, but was lucky enough to snag this one from a fellow collector.  The hat is from Bogue's Vogues.  The jewelry, gloves, purse, and shoes are from Ashton Drake.  My muse is Ashton Drake's "Love Paris" Gene Marshall.  Click here for D.A.E. Orginal's website

A classic 1950's black silk cocktail sheath and matching hat by Bogue's Vogues.  Jewelry and gloves from Ashton Drake. Shoes by Joe Tai.  Modeled by Integrity's Zita Charles.  Click here for Bogue's Vogues Etsy shop

Another fabulous ensemble by Bogue's Vogues called "1953".  The jacket features Bogue's signature waist detailing.  The earrings, necklace, and gloves are from Ashton Drake.  The handbag and bracelet are from Integrity. Ashton Drake's "Best Bet" Gene Marshall with an Integrity articulated body and Monique wig is the model/muse.  (The original hat to this suit is shown in the first photo accessorizing the dress by D.A.E. Originals.)   Table by Liz Cole for Retros.  Click here for Retros' Etsy shop

I met PD Root at a local doll show a few years back and loved his tailored daywear looks for Gene.  And every girl has to have one of his genuine fur drapes.  This circa 1940's 2-piece ensemble is accented with one of those to die for furs.  My restyled Simply Gene by Ashton Drake is the lucky model.  PD Root's eBay User ID is nunner502000.

"Fond Farewell" was designed exclusively for the 2000 Gene Convention by Mark Middendorf.  This was from a centerpiece doll, limited edition of 55.  "Fond Farewell"  is a circa 1940's grey wool suit with matching fur wrap and black leather structured handbag.  I replaced the original hat with one of my own designs to better fit with my restyled "Ooh La La" Gene from Integrity.  Shoes are from Jennifer Sue.  Click here for Mark Middendorf's website

To end the fashion show, a spectacular evening ensemble by Michael Scott.  I love the alligator print fabric and the design of the jewelry.  The purse is ingeniously attached to the gloves. A perfect look for the sultry Violet Waters by Ashton Drake.  Click here for Michael Scott's website

No comments:

Post a Comment